The most family friendly and flexible employers in Britain have been unveiled at the Working Families special awards, George Martinureports
The awards ceremony, which took place on the 6th July 2017 at Vintners’ Hall, London, celebrated companies who are seeking to ‘embed flexibility’ for all employees. On top of this, awards were also given to companies who had made significant progress in tackling traditional gender ideas about work.
The most successful firm at the ceremony was Lloyds Banking Group, who were presented with the award for best flexible recruitment, along with being recognised as the best large private sector company for “putting flexible work at the heart of its business, focusing on agile workers, parents and carers”.
There was a special commendation for Imperial College London, who have introduced initiatives aimed to ensure that fathers can take an equal role in raising children by breaking down traditional assumptions about parenthood.
There were also new awards handed out in recognition of the best small employer (awarded to consultancy firm Brand Learning), best public sector employer (awarded to West Dunbartonshire Council) and best third sector employer (awarded to Inspiring Scotland for its ‘flexible culture’).
Finally, Alexander Mann Solutions were awarded for having the best flexible working initiative, in recognition of their “global flexible working programme”, which encourages their staff to increase the take-up and consistency of flexible working.
Commenting on the awards, Sarah Jackson OBE, Chief Executive of Working Families, said: “In many ways, flexible working and family friendly working have never been more part of the bloodstream of British business. We had a record-breaking number of entries this year, showcasing a wealth of exciting approaches to creating agility in the workplace.
“Congratulations to all this year’s Top Employers for Working Families award winners, singled out because they offer leading flexible workplaces that support the grain of their employees’ lives. I look forward to working with them to make work work, for people, families and the economy, so that families thrive and business prospers.”
The full list of award winners:
- The Direct Line Group best for embedded flexibility award: Turn IT On
- The Allen & Overy innovation award: Grant Thornton UK LLP
- The Carers UK and Centrica best for carers and eldercare award: Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- The Deloitte best for all stages of motherhood award: Dulas
- The Cityparents best for all stages of fatherhood award: Imperial College London
- The best for flexible recruitment award: Lloyds Banking Group
- The Cross River Partnership best flexible working initiative award: Alexander Mann Solutions
- Best large private sector employer award: Lloyds Banking Group
- Best small employer award: Brand Learning
- Best public sector employer award: West Dunbartonshire Council
- Best third sector employer award: Inspiring Scotland